Our Beautiful, Child-Friendly Facility:
The location and building for SKCEE could not be more ideal. We are located in Southeast Denver at 3245 E. Exposition Ave. All our classrooms are immaculate and all of our Full Day ECE classrooms have their own private bathroom facilities and/or share a Jack and Jill type bathroom between only two classrooms. The grounds of the school underwent a complete renovation the summer of 2011 – known in Denver Public Schools as a “Learning Landscape” renovation. The 7 acres we sit on are now completely tailored to meet the needs of 3, 4 and 5 year old children. The grounds are also complete with a designated Kindergarten playground and 2 ECE playgrounds, and are completely fenced in to provide maximum safety for our youngest learners. We serve a family-style lunch program that is not only developmentally appropriate in terms of space and physical proportion, but is also a living example of best practice in food service for our youngest learners. The building has a dedicated space as a children’s library – again geared specifically to young children and their families.
Highlights of our Facility:
- Designated, fenced in Kindergarten Playground
- 2 designated, fenced in ECE playgrounds
- Our Courtyard Playground, built in 2011, during the “Learning Landscape” renovation
- Our newest East Playground, built in 2017-2018, the $70,000 project was completed through an amazing fundraiser spearheaded by Dr. Sheila Deacon
- Designated Children’s Library
- 2 Designated Discovery Link classrooms located on our low level
- A full functioning multi seat Auditorium and Stage for events
- Bathrooms in every Full Day ECE Classroom new for the 2020-2021 School Year and beyond
- 2 new bathrooms being added to 3 Full Day classrooms during our 2020 Big Construction Project going on now – also attributed to Dr. Sheila Deacon’s dedication to improving our school
- Portable free-standing air conditioners in every classroom and multi-use room in our building
- New for the 2019-2020 school year, thank you to the many parents who donated the air conditioners or helped us with our fundraising to purchase the much needed air conditioners!
- Our Autism room is getting a complete developmentally appropriate remodel during our 2020 Big Construction Project
- 2 giant ceiling fans are being installed (2020 Big Construction Project) in our Gym to provide much needed year round relief
- 2 Filtered Water Fountain/Bottle Filling Stations
- One installed in our ECE wing during the 2019-2020 school year
- One installed in the Kinder wing during our 2020 Big Construction Project going on now
- Updated security protocols installed during our 2020 Big Construction Project going on now
- Front Office is getting an update including new security features
- A large security window, which allows us to see into the main lobby and interact with parents
- A wall has been removed to give the office staff a clear view to the front of our building
- New alarms installed on all exterior doors that alert the office staff if a door is open
- New speaker system on the outside of our building increasing communication with staff, children and families
- Front Office is getting an update including new security features
Our Highly-Qualified Staff:
All staff at the Stephen Knight Center for Early Education boast exceptional qualifications. All of our certified teachers are federally qualified to teach in the State of Colorado. Each ECE classroom is staffed with a Full-Time Teacher and Full-Time Paraprofessional. We also have two Specials Teachers who were hand-picked to teach Integrated Arts and PE to all Full-Day Classrooms at SKCEE. We have a dedicated Library Paraprofessional who provides an interactive library experience for every student in our school. All students are allowed to check out books weekly. The three Kindergarten classrooms are staffed with highly qualified Kindergarten teachers and each classroom has a 5 hour per day Paraprofessional to assist with teaching each morning into early afternoon.
Upon completion of our recent Colorado Shines evaluation in the Spring of 2015, we received four out of five points, one of the highest ratings given from this agency. According to our past ratings, “The program shows an emphasis on quality education and training for their staff. This is evident in the interactions between staff and children. We function as a Professional Learning Community and staff members meet weekly to engage in conversations about student data in order to plan aligned instruction to meet the needs of all students and support end of year proficiency on grade level standards. Our staff’s first and foremost priority is ensuring that we not only keep up with understanding best practices for Early Childhood, but that we are implementing these practices weekly to enhance teaching and learning strategies.
Our Outstanding Program:
The Stephen Knight Center for Early Education proudly opened its doors in August, 2009. We were the first Center for Early Education in Denver Public Schools. We offer programming for 3 and 4-year-olds, both full- and half-day, and have 3 Kindergarten classrooms. The Kindergartens serve the Cory neighborhood with the students in those rooms transitioning to Cory Elementary upon completion of their Kindergarten program here.
The success of our program has been attributed to the climate and culture of the school, the support and involvement of the community and our undeniable devotion to children. In our Kindergarten program, we utilize Benchmark Literacy which builds foundational skills—such as phonics, word study, and fluency, to produce proficient readers, in Math we use Bridges Math for all children combined with the best of developmentally appropriate methods to ensure the best educational experiences for every student. Our Preschool Classrooms use the Creative Curriculum, which boasts developmentally appropriate and Common Core aligned instruction for our youngest learners. We are especially proud to offer an Integrated Arts program and a Physical Education program. These enrichments are offered every day, for every full-day child by two designated and well qualified specials teachers. Integrated Arts utilizes the DPS Arts Curriculum for Visual Arts instruction and regularly plans for art and music. Through our Physical Education program, all students will receive quality instruction that provides an integral foundation to achieve lifelong health, wellness, and academic success. Both classes utilize the new Colorado Academic Standards and the Common Core State Standards for each of these domains to plan with the end goal of proficiency to state standard in mind.
What our parents are saying…
“What a special place! We love that this is a preschool (ECE 3 and ECE 4) and Kindergarten only school, so our little kids feel comfortable and secure. The staff and teachers have been wonderful. The principal is responsive to any concerns brought to her attention. The front office staff is warm and helpful. Their is a strong PTA and a good sense of community. Many fundraisers and events are planned throughout the year. As a former teacher, I am very picky about the quality of the preschool and Kinder programs. I have been very impressed with the play-based, arts, and academic components. The Kindergarten teachers have been excellent. My daughter’s teacher is able to differentiate the curriculum to meet her academic needs. My daughter loves attending school. There is structure, but also creativity. We have been very happy attending our neighborhood preschool and Kindergarten at the Stephen Knight Center.”
“This is a safe, fun, and engaging school full of professionals who are passionate about early education and giving kids the tools they need to succeed as they prepare for elementary education. We are so happy our daughter is able to attend this wonderful school.”
“A wonderful experience for my preschooler kid.”