Stephen Knight Center for Early Education
Introducing the next principal at SKCEE!
April 10, 2017
Dear SKCEE Staff and Community,
With a great deal of enthusiasm and excitement, I would like to announce our new principal, Dr. Sheila Deacon. Dr. Deacon has many years of experience in Denver Public Schools, with her entire career dedicated to specializing in early childhood education. Sheila earned her Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction—with an emphasis in Early Childhood Education—at the University of Texas. Over the years in DPS she has served as a teacher, an Early Reading Coach, a Peer Observer, an Integrated Arts teacher, an Early Ed. Academic Partner in support of multiple schools, and a professor of early education. In her current role she serves as the assistant to the principal of LeDoux Early Childhood Center. Sheila Deacon has done some outstanding work at LeDoux, and this is reflected in parent and staff formal surveys, as well as in the exceptional levels of growth they have achieved.
As you are aware, our interview process was extensive. I would like to share another heartfelt thank-you to the SKCEE CSC, and the Advisory Committee members. The Advisory Committee spent three evenings constructing questions and interviewing candidates; and deliberated very thoughtfully in choosing our two finalists. These two finalists then passed through our community forum and site-visit learning walk interviews. All of the feedback and
information gleaned through these multiple stages was shared with Supt. Boasberg in preparation for his final interview last week. It was at this interview that Supt. Boasberg chose Dr. Deacon.
Please assist me in welcoming Dr. Deacon. Based on your input as a community, and Sheila’s rich and proven experience, I am positively confident that she will be able to carry Principal Vanhorn’s great work forward.
Onward and upward,
We are thrilled to have each of you joining us for a fantastic year of learning and fun. Please see below for some important dates and reminders:
April 17th – April 28th – Discovery Link 2017-2018 registration for current families.
April 19th – PTA Meeting 6:00 – 7:00
- Babysitting Available: Please email KnightCEEPTA@gmail.com to reserve your childcare spot(s)
April 25th – PTA Dine out is going to be at the 730 South Restaurant
on University in the Bonnie Brae Shopping area on April 25th… Dine in/Take
out orders for lunch and dinner are included for our 20% donation! Please
make a reservation through the restaurant if you plan to dine in!
April 25th & April 26th – SKCEE Seat Confirmation & Required Paperwork
May 1st – May 5th – Staff Appreciation Week
- Monday, May 1: The staff will get to decide if they’d prefer to create sweet or salty trail mix with a variety of ingredients offered in the staff lounge. Sign up to bring in a drink to accompany these delicious snacks. www.SignUpGenius.com/go/20F0E45A4AD2DABFC1-staff1
- Tuesday, May 2: Bring in a special note and/or a flower to tell your teacher, para and favorite staff member why they are special to you. And, if you’d like to sweeten things up even more, volunteer to bring in some frozen treats that the staff can enjoy during lunch. Sign up here: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/20F0E45A4AD2DABFC1-staff1
- Wednesday, May 3: The PTA will treat the staff to a salad bar lunch. Bring in some items needed to complete the lunch by signing up here: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/20F0E45A4AD2DABFC1-staff1
- Thursday, May 4: Isn’t it great when somebody surprises you by giving you one of your favorite things? Did you know that the office has a book with information about the favorite things of every staff member? Drop by the office and take a look at what your teacher, para or favorite staff member loves and then bring it to them on May 4. Alternatively, this can be your day to get creative! Bring in a gift card to Starbucks or Whole Foods, a special chocolate treat or a picture of you and a SKCEE staff member. The sky’s the limit!
- Friday, May 5: We’ll end the week by treating the staff to some cookies. Homemade would be great! Sign up here: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/20F0E45A4AD2DABFC1-staff1
May 6th - PTA Spring Fling 10:00 – 1:00
- We need your help to make this event happen. Committees will meet a few times for no more than an hour. It’s a great way to meet other parents and give back to our community.
- SignUpHere: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0d4da8ac2cabfb6-spring1
- In order to make this event amazing and to best support our
school, we are looking for your help! There are three ways that you can
currently support the school.
- 1) Become a general sponsor of this year’s event
- 2) Contribute raffle items.
- 3) Your family, a group of friends, or your business can sponsor an activity! www.SignUpGenius.com/go/20F0D4DA8AC2CABFB6-spring2
May 8th - May 12th – Discovery Link 2017-2018 registration for currently waitlisted families and New families to SKCEE
May 9th & May 10th – Spring Parent Teacher Conferences
May 11th – PTA Vendor Fair
May 12th – Volunteer Breakfast
May 16th – Ballet Recital – 3:15
May 17th – Belle & Kara Performance – 3:45
May 18th – Field Day
- 9:45 -10:45 – Belle, Patty, Kara, Betsy, Hilary R
- 10:00 -10:40 – Corina, Bryan, Rachel
- 12:00 -1:00 - Lacey, Gayla, Hillary C, Kathy K,
- 1:40 -3:00 - Kindergarten (classes will be split in half)
- 2:00 – 2:40 – Corina, Bryan, Karen
Catchpenny Performance – 3:30
May 25th – Hillary C Performance – 2:15
May 26th – Hilary R Performance – 9:30
Kathy K Performance – 2:15
May 29th – No School Memorial Day
May 30th – Corina Performance both AM & PM Classes 10:00
June 1st – Last day of school for all ½ day classes
June 2nd – Kindergarten End of Year Performance -10:15
Last day picnic from 11:00-12:00
Last day of school for all full day classes (this is a half-day
and dismissal is at noon)
A friendly reminder that in order to stay informed about weather-related district closures (school closed or delayed starts), you will need to watch the local news and/or access the DPS website. Please see below for more information: http://communications.dpsk12.org/announcement.html?id=1555
Our PTA 2016-2017 Board:
Co-Presidents – Kathryn Valdez, Alison Yeh
Vice President – Alexia Eslen
Treasurer – Adrian Simon
Secretary – Marti Freeman
2016 – 2017 PTA Volunteer Sign Up – We need your help, big or small! Did you know that the SCKEE PTA raises over $30,000 to help with additional paraprofessional hours in the classroom, teacher requested materials, field trip scholarship funds, special event requests, teacher/staff hospitality, and more! In order to make this happen, we need your help. Please consider donating your time! No experience necessary! We will help you through it! http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0d4da8ac2cabfb6-20162017
Become a PTA Member!
https://squareup.com/market/skcee-pta Join the PTA for just $10. Forms available on the PTA table in the front lobby and at all PTA events. “Joining the PTA” does not commit you to any responsibilities, but rather it is indicative of your support for the work that the SKCEE PTA accomplishes each year.
King Soopers Reloadable Cards Orders – CAN BE USED IN THE SUMMER!
Each original card is $5. Cash or Check. For every $100 you load onto the card, $5 is given directly to the SKCEE PTA. Load your card every time before you shop, and you will be making a quick and easy donation to our school! Pick up your forms at the school front office or on the PTA table anytime! Online payment now available: https://squareup.com/market/skcee-pta Reloadable King Soopers cards
Donations Needed We just broke ground on our new school garden. We are in need of items for our new school garden. Please email Patty Paul at Patricia_Paul@dpsk12.org if you are able to make a donation for our new garden.
Interested in Giving School Tours?
It’s school choice season! We will have lots of families coming in to tour our wonderful school. If you are interested in giving a tour on Tuesday or Friday mornings this year, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time to complete a tour training session. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0d4da8ac2cabfb6-school
Box Tops for Education™ Program – Please save and bring in at the beginning of school!
Last year we earned more than $500 for our school. Let’s go for $1000 this year! Drop your Boxtops in the collection envelopes outside your child’s class or at the poster next to the PTA board in the main hallway . Want coupons for everyday products you buy??? Sign up at BTFE.com. You can also check out our school’s earnings. Thank you for your generous attention to these little 10 cent gems! Box Tops product_list
Did you know that by shopping on Amazon, through Amazon Smile, 0.5% of your purchase prices can be donated directly to the Steven Knight Center? Go to smile.amazon.com . Under “Or Pick Your Own Charitable Organization” type Center for Early Education PTA. Click “Select” and start shopping AND donating. You must log into smile.amazon.com whenever you want to purchase something for the donation to work. Thank you for your support!
LIKE US on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/skceepta
2016-2017 Classes We have 3 and 4 year old preschool classrooms, three Cory Kindergarten classrooms, and one Advanced Kindergarten classroom. Before and After school options The Denver Public Schools Kaleidoscope Corner offers wrap-around care for families. Visit the DPS enrollment section for all the details on enrollment. Session schedules
- Full Day Programs:
- Start at 8:30 a.m.
- Departure at 3:15pm
- Morning Half Day Programs:
- Start at 8:30 a.m.
- Departure at 11:10 a.m.
- Afternoon Half Day Programs:
- Start at 12:30 p.m.
- Departure at 3:10 p.m.