Health Corner

2 students posing in class

Getting Ready for the School Year: Immunizations

SKCEE has a dedicated health aide, Janese Bean, five days a week, Mondays through Fridays (a. We have a school nurse, Eve Valiquette, 3 days a week. Our Health Room is located next to the Main Office. When a Nurse is not available, the office personnel take care of any sick children or emergencies.

Our Health Staff is responsible for the maintenance of the following:

Helpful Health Information

School-based Health Centers

Denver Health’s School-based Health Centers (SBHC) form a large network of health centers located inside Denver Public School (DPS) campuses that serve any DPS student as well as children enrolled in DPS-affiliated Early Childhood Education programs at no charge to families. They offer medical, mental health, dental, health education and family planning, as well as insurance enrollment and advising services. If you know the location where you want to make an appointment, please call the center directly using the phone number available on our locations page or call the Appointment Center at 303-602-8958.

If your child is/ you are experiencing any potentially life-threatening symptoms please call 911.

Student Medication Forms


No medications can be given to students without one of the medication forms listed below.

This includes, but is not limited to, medications such as Tylenol® (acetaminophen) and Advil® (ibuprofen).

Student Medication and Treatments at School

Please use the Student Medication/Treatment Request Release Agreement form for general medication and medical treatment orders. This form is not recommended for students needing albuterol for asthma or an EpiPen® for anaphylaxis or emergency medications for seizures. For students requiring rescue medication for asthma, anaphylaxis, or seizures, please use the approved medication order action plans that are provided below.

Student Medication and Treatment Forms

Medications in ECE

If a student needs to take medications at school, the following requirements must be met:


The Anaphylaxis Medication Order and Plan is the preferred document for students with severe allergies who may need an EpiPen® at school. If the student requires other medications to treat allergies, such as Benadryl® (Diphenhydramine), please use the general medication form.


The asthma medication order and plan is the preferred document for students with asthma.


The Seizure Emergency Care Plan and Medication Orders for School and Childcare Settings is the preferred document for students who have seizures who may need emergency medications at school. If the student requires other medications, please use the general medication form.


Immunization Requirements

Colorado law requires all students attending Colorado schools and licensed child cares to be vaccinated against certain diseases unless a medical or non-medical exemption is filed.  For more information about vaccine requirements, resources and exemptions, please visit the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment’s School Immunization page.

Vaccine exemption forms from the Colorado Department of Public Heath & Environment

How to Get Vaccinations:

General Health Appraisals

This form is to be completed by a health care provider who has seen the child in the last twelve months. The statement must include when the next visit is required by the health care provider. If a child’s parent is a licensed physician, M.D. or O.D., it is legally acceptable for that parent to sign his or her own child’s form.

Children who have not met this requirement may not attend school until the form is completed or, if no appointment is made within 10 days  of notification the student can be withdrawn and replaced with a child from our school’s wait list.

Please contact your school nurse when:

Specialized Care

DPS School Nurses provide a broad array of services, addressing: